Community Planting Leader (CPL)
Give back, make new friends, build your resume, leave a
lasting legacy, and have fun!
As part of our team of Community Planting Leaders (CPLs),
you will engage and manage volunteers in tree planting and stewardship projects
at parks, schools, residential homes, and/or open space areas across the
Sacramento region in order to grow and protect the best urban forest in the nation.
CPLs support at least one tree planting or care event per month during
planting season (October through May).
CPLs support SacTree by ensuring
that volunteers have the best experience possible and that volunteers’ work
follows tree planting and care best practices. By providing volunteers with
training, supervision, and encouragement along with staff and interns, they
also increase SacTree’s capacity to plant and care for more trees across our
region. They are an integral part of the overall success of SacTree’s events
and serve as ambassadors for the organizations in the community, thereby also
growing SacTree’s volunteer team.
You will be a great CPL if you…
- Enjoy giving back to our community
- Love nature and the great outdoors
- Want to restore habitat for local wildlife
- Like meeting new people and learning new skills
- Have fun planting and caring for trees
- Aspire to be a leader in our community
It’s easy to get started!
- Participate in a SacTree planting or care event
- Attend a 2-hour classroom orientation for CPLs
at SacTree’s office, which includes information about our mission and vision,
programs, volunteer management best practices, and the role of a CPL
Choose between becoming a CPL for our habitat restoration projects or urban tree plantings and attend a 3-hour field
training on best practices for planting and tool use for those specific
- Shadow a SacTree staff member at a second event
to practice all the skills you’ve learned so far
- Receive your certification as a CPL!
CPLs will receive…
- A Certificate of Completion for their
- A special SacTree t-shirt just for CPLs
- Continued training in tree planting and care
- Satisfaction of growing and protecting our urban
- SacTree’s gratitude and thanks