Acorn Intern will help manage the yearly harvest of seeds to support the Seed
to Seedling educational program and the NATURE native tree planting program.
Working closely with community members on collection projects and increasing
the regional awareness of oak tree and native woodland conservation issues are
major goals of this effort.
- Work with the Restoration Ecologist to apply for and manage harvesting permits throughout the Sacramento region.
- Assess potential harvesting areas for specific harvesting criteria.
- Manage and update regional seed zone maps.
- Manage and update harvesting data sheets.
- Assist in the creation and delivery of acorn harvesting training sessions.
- Coordinate the processing and storage of collected acorns.
- Harvest acorns and other native plant seeds or propagules.
- Apply and interview for the position.
- Personal time management in order to complete the collection goal. Acorn drop dates vary according to seasonal differences with the majority of the outdoor collection work occuring in October and November. We anticipate a weekly time commitment of between 8 and 10 hours.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of community and staff members.
Attitude, Abilities, and Skills
- Interest in arboriculture, urban forestry, and ecology.
- Knowledge of native plants is helpful, though training will be provided.
- Knowledge of oak species, acorn collecting techniques, and responsible restoration material collection techniques a bonus. Training will be provided.
- Love of the great outdoors, natural places.
This is a volunteer unpaid intern position and is
housed at the Sacramento Tree Foundation office (191 Lathrop Way Suite D) and
nursery (141 Commerce Circle) in Sacramento, CA.
The Intern Will Receive
- Orientation to the Sacramento Tree Foundation.
- Training about acorn collection, oak genetics, horticulture methods of seed storage, etc.
- A personal learning plan designed to highlight personal and professional goals of the intern and how those goals will be supported by the project.
- Special access to unique open space areas and preserves throughout the Sacramento region.
- Certificate of Completion or Letter of Recommendation upon successful completion of the project.
- Scholastic Internship credits, as desired and approved by your school.
- Vehicle mileage reimbursement for project travel.
- Our gratitude and thanks!
To apply please
email a resume [and letter of interest] to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Acorn
Intern. For more information please email email@example.com.
Please include Acorn Intern in your title.