Urban Ecology Intern
The Urban Ecology Intern works within the Urban Ecology Department performing activities related to the planting, maintenance, and monitoring of the urban forest. The Intern may work with other departments on similar type projects/programs.
The Intern works closely with staff and volunteers to implement and steward projects related to the establishment of plant materials at land enhancement sites, parks, schools, public open spaces, and neighborhoods throughout the Sacramento region.
The Intern participates in projects working with community volunteers, service organizations, and students to implement plant establishment activities. A background in ecology, environmental science, land restoration, landscaping, agriculture, natural resource management or related field is helpful.
Duration of internship
Number of hours/week
Weekly time commitment of between 8 and 24
hours. Saturday availability strongly desired.
Approximate start date
- Perform planting and care activities such as mulching, pruning, and watering.
- Execute weed abatement and vegetation control activities using hand tools, mechanical equipment, and herbicides.
- Assist with the installing, maintaining, and operating irrigation systems.
- Monitor plant and site conditions using GIS and GPS technologies.
- Perform other land management duties as assigned.
- Communicate Tree Foundation messages to community members at planting events, while working at planting sites, and at community outreach events.
- Help maintain an organized and efficient nursery, plant stock, irrigation systems, and tools and supplies.
- Help to ensure the field trucks and trailers are clean and safe to drive, including regularly checking fluid levels and tire pressure, ensuring all lights are working, etc.
- Conduct research, compile information, and share with appropriate staff.
- Enter data into Salesforce and other tracking systems.
- Make phone calls, respond to/draft emails, and facilitate other customer service related activities.
EDUCATION: Some education in ecology, environmental science, land restoration, landscaping,
agriculture, natural resource management,
or related field is helpful.
EXPERIENCE: Prior land restoration experience and
experience with non-profit organizations is helpful.
SKILLS: Excellent communication skills; must be
proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; ArcGIS skills helpful but not
required. Must be able to use Ipads and Iphones with applicable applications.
Knowledge of native plants, habitat types, wildlife and invasive weeds helpful
but not required. Valid Driver’s license ideal but not required.
SKILLS: Must have a good sense of humor
and an ability to get along with a wide variety of people. Must be flexible and
able to adopt to change. Must be comfortable working alone, with a team, and
with volunteers. Must be able to lift 70 lbs, walk and work safely
on uneven terrain and steep slopes, perform repetitious movements for extended
periods, work outside in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
Must be comfortable working in an organization dedicated to protecting natural
resources through direct advocacy and community engagement.
The Intern will receive
to the Sacramento Tree Foundation.
on planting techniques, irrigation planning and maintenance, volunteer
management, land enhancement, nursery tasks, and vehicle use.
on, direct experience working with planting,
maintenance, and monitoring of the urban forest, managing volunteers, service
organizations, and students, learning the various aspects of a non-profit, as
well as knowledge and experience in a variety of activities and programs that
the Sacramento Tree Foundation supports throughout Sacramento and surrounding
access to unique open space areas and preserves throughout the Sacramento
of Completion or Letter of Recommendation upon successful completion of the
internship credits, as desired and approved by your school.
mileage reimbursement for project travel up to a specific amount.
gratitude and thanks!
This is a volunteer unpaid intern position and is housed at the Sacramento Tree Foundation office (191 Lathrop Way Suite D) and nursery (141 Commerce Circle) in Sacramento, CA.
To apply please
email a resume [and letter of interest] to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Urban
Ecology Intern. For more information please email email@example.com. Please include Urban Ecology
Intern in your title.